Saturday, April 11, 2009

Chemo-Land

Sunday, April 12:  First day of Chemo on Thursday went from 7:30 am to 6pm and was exhausting in the extreme.  Blood work, pre-meds, hydration (2 hours) chemo, more hydration --radiation treatment in the midst of all of this.  Visits from various nurses, social worker, chaplain, nutritionist, Doctor, my wonderful sister-in-law, Allen, etc.  The people here are very attentive and caring and I had my own room.  Food and snacks, as desired,  Nice.   Lots of anti-nausea drugs, which help but not totally.  I was back Friday and Saturday for more hydration--just precautionary.  Felt crappy in the extreme at first, but each day slightly better now.  Took a few walks in our beautiful weather.  Will write as I feel able.
  
One kind of funny story-- I was going in between various appts, and had just finished my accupuncture consult (will start next week); and asked them if I could just lay down a bit before my radiation appt.  Of course I fell fast asleep, and overslept my appointment by 10 minutes.   When I got to RT, (just down the hallway) they asked, why were you late (i think that they were looking for me), so I explained about the impromptu nap.  One of the RT techs then told me his story of taking a 2 hour nap on the acupuncture table!  

Happy 16th Birthday to my daughter!  

And now, a new occasional feature in recognition of all the amazing chefs and wonderful friends who have organized or made and brought us food . . .
The food review:  Awesome carrot coconut soup over the weekend, and a perfect Sunday night dinner, including a decadent chocolate cake for Leah's b-day celebration, all Pesadich somehow. It was delicious!--thank you thank you from my family and from me (even though I am eating in teeny amounts.)

P.S. We do not need more cake (Passover and otherwise) in the house--you all know who you are!   

1 comment:

  1. Dear Judy, Thank you for keeping us all up to date on your treatment. We wish you strength during this ordeal. We know that you will get through this and that one day in the near future it will only be a hazy memory. I would love to get on the list for bringing food over or helping with errands etc. Love from, Amy, Fred, Rob, Stuart.

    ReplyDelete