Thursday, April 30, 2009

In Chemo-Land: Take 2

I am cozily ensconced in my little room in the treatment center.  It is like a little mini-hospital, with private rooms with beds, and also with shared rooms with lounge chairs for those who are only here for a couple hours.    Since I am here all day (7:30 am to 5 or 6pm), I get my own room.  The routine goes like this:  hook-up IV, blood tests, nurse check in and history, hook up to hydration (2 hours); then "pre-meds" for nausea, etc.; then the actual chemo, followed by another 2-4 hours of post hydration  (this chemo is hard on the kidneys.)  In between,  I read, rest, write, try to eat, and get to pee into a "pee hat" placed into the toilet.  (that is what they call it! )  I am mobile, but mostly try and rest.  I do go down for radiation treatment at 2 pm, with my little IV pole trailing after me.   I have two books waiting for me on my Kindle, and a view of the nurses station so I am not bored.  I am not much of a TV watcher.  When I review the current drugs I am using with the nurses, all of them are extremely supportive of the use of "that which is legal in California" for both pain and nausea.  Everyone thinks it should be made pharmaceutically available, and dispensed like all other medical drugs.  Pretty interesting.    This dose of chemo will be less than the prior one that I had 3 weeks ago, so I am hopeful that I will not feel quite as crappy.  More later and love to all.  

PS--thanks for the egg advice from everyone!

3 comments:

  1. In California, do the nurses actually bring you "that which is legal in California" for thenausea and pain; or do you maintain your own supply and dispense accordingly?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what the blessing for something "legal in California" might be... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That which is legal in California" sounds like how they refer to Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter: "He who shall not be named."

    ReplyDelete